Things have not gone as planned today. They took a turn towards the ugly very early this morning. Let’s recap some of the highlights, shall we?
1. My husband left town today for a week. I knew this was coming. I did not realize ( until recently) that Anna Grace would also be out of school and that the BFF’s would be out of town (along with Anna Grace’s usual troop of playmates) at the same time. What’s the deal? Did I forget my deodorant or something?????
2. Anna Grace woke up early this morning. Then she headed off for the bathroom. I then needed the following items to get her out of the bathroom.
One dissassembled doorknob
That’s right, folks. My daughter locked herself in the bathroom at 7:30 this morning. I had to first WAKE UP, then try to figure out what was going on, locate a screw driver and rescue her. All before I had even had a diet coke.
This event was an omen. We should have just gone back to bed!
3. Decided over the weekend that I would drag Anna Grace from one theme park to the other throughout this week. This would be my plan for counteracting the 712, 453 times she was going to ask me about when she could go to school and the 654, 786 times she was going to say “Where’s Daddy?”.
Today’s adventure: Animal Kingdom. Number of people who had the same idea as we did?
4. After much riggamaroll, I get Anna Grace in the car, drop packages at the post office, fill up with gas and get on the road. We arrive. We walk ten feet, maybe fifteen, and Anna Grace falls down.
One matching set of skinned knees.
Ignore the cookie dust on her mouth.
So our first stop was the first aid station to get a matching set of band aids. Anna Grace then contracted that most horrible of all preschool diseases: Drama Queen-itis. The affects of this ailment are still being felt as I write this several hours after “the incident”.
5. The point of our little adventure was to see a tiger and a gorilla. And we did. That would be our first positive experience of the day (for those of you who are keeping track).
Tiger going for a swim (who knew?)
Back of a gorilla.
6. While visiting the gorillas the little educator person was saying how folks needed to stay behind the rope… the gorillas can see and hear you… be very quiet….blah blah blah. I turned to get the stroller out of the way. I turn back in time to see that Anna Grace has gone under the rope, is standing right by this gorilla and before I can grab her she knocks on the glass and yells “Hi Gorilla.”
The gorilla wasn’t pleased.
7. I enjoyed seeing the meerkat. I know this is going to ruin my bad, snarky reputation but… here it goes…. I’m addicted to Meerkat Manor. I am so ashamed to admit that I actually watch a show that is on Animal Planet but its true. I have a Meerkat Manor problem. And so… I enjoyed watching this little guy.
Meerkat… with antelope in the background.
For those of you keeping count… this would be positive thing #2.
8. Somebody was full of complaints. Their knees hurt, they were hungry or hot or thirsty. (They needed to get a happy heart!!!!). And they fell again. Drama Queen-itis intensified.
9. Since eating something nutritious was not on the to-do list for the day I allowed my child to fill herself to the brim with popcorn. I’m sure I’ll lose my “mommy” button for that one. But it did seem to silence her many “wants” and complaints.
10. Things seemed to be settling down and we were finally starting to relax. I had just kinda said to myself something along the lines of…. I wish these Disney folks could sprinkle some pixie dust and make the rest of this day go smoothly. And immediately, if almost on cue, my child threw up all over herself and the kid next to her. And so we went home.
Stupid pixie dust!!!!!